Strategic Action Plan
Marshalltown Community School District shares with our community the expectation of a high quality education for each of our 5,000+ students. In fact, academic focus and public accountability were key reasons for development and implementation of this four-year Strategic Action Plan.
The Marshalltown Community School District Board of Education, Superintendent, and Strategic Action Planning Panel wish to thank the many community members and MCSD staff who provided valuable insights for development of this Strategic Action Plan. Through a series of public forums (“Community Conversations”) and meetings with stakeholders throughout the community, the District gathered input and developed a plan with one goal: Increase student achievement.
In order to achieve this goal, the District committed to five strategies – each focusing on a different area, yet connected through their combined focus on achieving our goal: quality instruction, safe schools, superior staff, strong partnerships and sound investments.
Between 2011 and 2015, the District will employ these strategies and the various actions and tasks required for their successful implementation. Using pre-determined indicators, the District will consistently monitor data and routinely provide reports so the community can evaluate our continuous improvement efforts.
Marshalltown Community School District firmly believes our students deserve the best possible preparation for college, employment and citizenship in a changing world. Their future, and ours, depends on it.
- District Philosophy
Marshalltown Community School District is dedicated to providing quality education to all students. The Board is committed to providing a learning environment that promotes the academic, social, intellectual, emotional and physical development of all students.
The Board will employ highly effective professionals to educate students possessing a wide variety of experiences and abilities. Curriculum, instruction and assessment, including critical thinking and problem solving, are key elements of an education that prepares students for success as lifelong learners, earners and citizens.
The support and involvement of the home and the community are essential to excellence in the district. The district will maintain an active relationship with the home and community to promote student academic success and civic responsibility.
The mission of the Marshalltown Community School District is to nurture students to become intellectually and personally empowered for citizenship in a changing world.
Marshalltown Community School District will be the district of choice, unparalleled in student achievement gains and innovative practices. We will prepare students for success in a global society, while supporting the continued growth and development of our community.
- All students can learn and succeed at high levels
- Learning starts at birth and is a lifelong process
- Education is the shared responsibility of the individual, home, school and community
- High expectations supported by engaging and effective instruction lead to high achievement
- Schools must structure learning activities that lead to increased student self-control and responsibility
- Technology must be an important learning tool for all students and staff
- Education must be relevant for today and for the future
- Learning environments must be varied and flexible
- The school organization must continually change to meet the needs of a changing society
- Every person has a right to a positive, safe and supportive learning environment
- Every person must be valued and treated with dignity, respect and fairness
- Learners build self-esteem through belonging, academic success and competence as a learner